Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

One Little Word Blog Hop

Welcome to my stop on the One Little Word blog hop!  If you started at the beginning you are probably joining me from Jill's blog Life...As I See It.  If this is your first stop, and you'd like to start at the beginning you can pop over to Margie's blog Xnomads or you can just follow along from here.  Be sure to read all the way to the end of this post for a giveaway and the link to the next stop!

I have been a fan of Ali Edwards ever since I "met" her through the podcast Paperclipping Roundtable.  I highly recommend these podcasts put on by a "group of real life scrapbookers who also work within the industry."  Already a member of Big Picture Classes I was excited when I heard about Ali's class One Little Word (it's not too late to join the journey if you are interested).

I've never been one for New Year's resolutions but I do believe in the power of self talk and surrounding your self with messages you need to hear.  So this class seemed a perfect fit.  After much reflection and debate I finally chose my word for 2011.

My word is "Present"

As a strictly 12x12 two page scrapper Ali's class materials (8.5x11 album with various size page protectors) was stretching my very linear self.  But I was excited to take on the challenge.  And who better to learn from, than an expert like Ali?!?


I have only recently begun to dive into digital scrapping. I thought Ali's downloads created the perfect opportunity for building my digital skills.  With over 2000 people taking the class there are lots of people, Ali included, in the class that are more than willing to help out when anyone has questions.  With a little help from my new friends I created an entirely digital cover page and I LOVE IT!


I have also been taking Tracey Clark's "Picture" series over at BPC.  At the end of "Picture the Holidays" Tracey asked us to take a photograph representing what we were hoping for in 2011.  I had already chosen my word for OLW so I decided to represent that feeling in my photograph.  This photo then became my "beginnings" photo for OLW.

So a little about what the word "present" means to me.  Lately I have realized that I spend much of my time every day behind my laptop.  This year, for the first time, I decided to stay home with my children.  It began to weigh on me that while I was home, I wasn't really here with them.  I wanted to be more present and in the moment with my children.

Another aspect of my word is that I had also began to notice that I spent many special events off to the side and behind my camera.  Once again I was not engaging with my life I was merely recording it.  I love photographs and still want to include them in my life, but there needs to be balance.  I need to be more present.

Lastly I recognize that I also need to be mindful of my own needs.  To be present not just for my family but also for myself.  As you can see there are many ways that I hope to be more present this year.


January's project for OLW was to get to know our word a little better.  We filled this divided page protector with nine 2x3 cards.  Some were given to us by Ali in a downloadable PDF and some I created myself.  Here they are from left to right, row by row.


The first card is the definition of my word 'present.'  I don't love my handwriting so I chose to type it using a handwriting font.  To bring in some color I used green text and inked the edges in a matching green.


Next is another fully digital card.  I used a digital paper I loved as well as a journal block, alphabet, twine, and button.  I had a lot of fun learning how to work with layers and clipping masks to make this one!  For a tutorial on how to do this check out this post.


Next comes the thesaurus card.  Again I used a handwriting font and printed it in color, orange this time.  I also chose to add brackets and bold here and there to break up the list of words.  I inked the edges of this card as well.


Someone else in the OLW community posted about a website that allowed you to create a mind map of any word.  I made one of my word and shrunk it down before printing so that it would fit.


This is one of only two cards that I wrote by hand.  I decided that since it was personal I would use my own handwriting.  I don't love it, wish I had used a finer point pen, but part of being present is that I don't waste time trying to be perfect!


This card is a hybrid.  The paper is digital.  After printing I added an orange flower embellishment on top.

I chose to continue the green accents by cutting one card out of cardstock adding a ribbon with beautiful texture and then sticking on some gems.  Love that bling!

This card being the other more personal one I once again hand wrote on it.  I love how the inked edges give all these white cards a bit of color!

Using a quote website I found the most perfect quote for my final card.  It encapsulates everything I hope for myself in 2011!

Thanks for spending some time learning about me and my one little word!  I have decided to offer a giveaway to all those that stuck with me through this long post!  :)  Some of you may know that I make and sell photo jewelry.  I have made a necklace in honor of this One Little Word journey.  Whether you are a member of OLW or not this necklace encourages you to focus on the path you have set for yourself in 2011.  You may just learn a little more about who you are at the center of your being!


To win this necklace become a follower of my blog and leave a comment on this post.  It's that easy!  For a second chance to win "like" my store MB Photography and Design on Facebook and then come back here and leave another comment that you are a Facebook fan.  Entries will close by midnight February 1st CST.  But even if you don't win I will have this necklace, and many others, for sale in my store.

And now back to the blog hop!  Thanks so much for visiting!  For your next stop hop on over to see Lynn at Crafty Creativity!

And here is the complete list of OLW blog hop participants in case you get lost!

OLW BLOG LIST (Jan)

15) Relly http://rel.ly 



41 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm so touched by how much thought and reflection has gone into choosing your word. And I love how you connected the photo from your class to relate to your OLW. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! Your word is very simlar to mine (mindfulness) and for similar reasons. I love your self-portrait, very full of the feeling of your word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post and I feel the same way about how I spend my time with my family and kids vs. how I NEED to spend time with them. The pages are done well and that necklace is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your reasons and your word. Mine are the same yet I chose balance...to find what you are saying is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your post and the thought you put into everything. Your January prompt page came out great - the colors are so nice together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post (and blog). Love your self photo, too. Your pages make me wish I'd gone digi, as well. :) That necklace is GORgeous, by the way! Lucky the gal that wins it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of wonderful insights in your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your bright happy colors and that mind map is great. I didn't think about including it in my pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful post, and I love your book. Oh so pretty necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post! Your OLW pages are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful page you created! And I love your word. It is fun to read how your word gives you the some focus as my word LOVE gives me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pages and so many great photos of the individual cards. I also love how you chose the word and that it will be such a meaningful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, love all the close ups! Good luck with your word this year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just became a fan on facebook! LOVE your jewelry creations! And I love the mix of digital and paper scrappin' Ithink it adds a lot of personality to your album!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing i am "simplifying" so dont' have a blog i can enjoy everyone elses creativity in the OWL project and there own such as your and I liked your page.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on your first foray into digital scrapbooking! And I really love your portrait. Being more present with my kids is something I'm working on too: with my word Faith, it is about inspiring my kids' faith in their mom. :) Good luck this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are quite alike. First forays into digital through Ali and BPC and Your word is the closest I've seen to my own. I chose "PARTICIPATE" for similar reason. I needed a verb to get me moving. lol

    Hope you can pop by and see my from Jan 16th. Hope to join n the hop next month.
    Claudia

    http://www.creative-moms.com/one-little-word-with-ali-edwards/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your album looks great! I love all the color and your photo too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your OLW album :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!!! This is my first year with OLW... my word is "choices"...enjoying how it is playing out so far. Love the necklace too...
    sherilin dot andersen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just "Liked" you on Facebook... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful post. Your pages are just gorgeous and that necklace is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love this post...and that green and orange on your 9 pocket page is just stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing! The handmade flower on your page is awesome! love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I can so relate to the sentiment for choosing your word. In fact, it's very similar to one of the reasons I chose "focus". Beautiful post --thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your word and your layout...beautiful colors!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the way you write and yes you are quite right - we can all relate to spending far too much time in front of our screens and not enough with our children ... thank you for reminding me to get off the computer LOL. Love your jewelery too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. your because card, my feelings EXACTLY, that is one of the reasons my word is ACT

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your word, as I'm late in doing the bloghop!!! I see you are also doing the Joy of Love class, isn't it fun? Everything you've shared is really great!!!! xoxo

    P.S. If you like digi and hybrid, you have to check out the new zine GingerScrapsStreet. Links are on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. a great start to your 2011 OLW journey - tfs

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you've put a lot of thought and effort into your word so far, great start to 2011. All the best for an awesome journey for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you are challenging your linear self with the layout format!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, you've put a lot of thought and effort into your word so far, great start to 2011. All the best for an awesome journey for the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your word, as I'm late in doing the bloghop!!! I see you are also doing the Joy of Love class, isn't it fun? Everything you've shared is really great!!!! xoxo

    P.S. If you like digi and hybrid, you have to check out the new zine GingerScrapsStreet. Links are on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love how you are challenging your linear self with the layout format!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love your word and your layout...beautiful colors!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for sharing! The handmade flower on your page is awesome! love the colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your bright happy colors and that mind map is great. I didn't think about including it in my pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful post (and blog). Love your self photo, too. Your pages make me wish I'd gone digi, as well. :) That necklace is GORgeous, by the way! Lucky the gal that wins it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love your reasons and your word. Mine are the same yet I chose balance...to find what you are saying is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Amazing post and I feel the same way about how I spend my time with my family and kids vs. how I NEED to spend time with them. The pages are done well and that necklace is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails