So the other day I came across this Pinterest Challenge over at Young House Love. (be sure to watch the video-hilarious!)
The idea is to take something you've pinned and actually make it! Now I scraplift from my Favorite Layouts board all the time, but I have yet to try out one of my home decor or craft project pins. This challenge was the perfect opportunity and I knew exactly which project I wanted to tackle.
The original pin links back to a site that sells these beauties for 25 pounds each (for a 15x15 canvas). I don't even want to know what it would cost to ship from England! And I wanted 3 canvases. That's like 75ish bucks (don't ask me what the exchange rate is!) + shipping. Yikes! Sounds like a time to DIY.
So I headed to Michaels ready to find my materials. I grabbed a 4 pack of 6x6 canvases ($7 for the pack) and some little wooden letters ($5 for all 13 letters I needed). Then I picked up some Quick Dry Glue ($3) and some spray paint ($3). So for only $18 I was able to make all three canvases and I even have a blank one left over! WAY better than 75 pounds (converted to dollars) + shipping!
Here are my 3 canvases with the words spelled out. 'Heaven' wouldn't fit straight across so I had to get creative with the arranging. Even though 'Earth' would fit straight across I decided to arrange it like 'Heaven' so they would match.
I put this project together while at my parent's house (taking care of my Dad while Mom went out to get her nails done). I had limited time (while everyone- my boys and my dad- were napping) and limited supplies. So I had to get creative with how to make sure everything was nice and lined up.
First I found the 3 inch mark on both sides of the canvas I was working on. I put the other two canvases on each side right at 3 inches. That way I knew where center was. Then I measured up 2 1/2 inches from the bottom and placed the measuring tape across. That way I had my bottom line to work from when placing my letters.
I wanted the first and last letter to be centered on the 3 inch line. So I placed those first. Then I arranged the rest of the letters.
Next it was time to glue down the letters. This is the glue I used. No particular reason why, just seemed like a good choice. :)
Once the glue was dry I took these babies outside to paint. (yep, those are Wendy's cups propping up the canvases).
Again, no rhyme or reason for why I chose this brand other than it was a smaller can and I didn't think I needed a large one.
And then I just sprayed away. I put two coats on, making sure to spray from every angle so that I would get all the edges of the letters and canvases.
It may be hard to see but a couple of the letters got a little bit splintery around the edges when the paint dried. So I took some sandpaper to those edges and sprayed across just the letters one more time.
Here they are all together. Ahhhh, so pretty!
This is not the final resting place for these lovely little canvases (I believe there is a photo wall in my future). They will, however, be paired with this photo I took, which just happens to be called, "Heaven on Earth." See how the earth and sky reverse in the glass of water? LOVE this photo. One of my favorites! I plan to hang the photo, the canvases, and a collection of favorite family pics. Cause, you know, life with my family is like Heaven on Earth! I know, I'm cheesy like that. :)
(Shameless plug alert...you too can own this photo along with several others OR photo jewelry if you 'like' my store, MB Photography and Design, on facebook)
Addicted to Pinterest yet? Wanna follow me on Pinterest? (there's a link on the right sidebar to do just that) Ever actually made something you pinned? Dying to spray paint something? I'd love to hear all about it!
Be sure to head over to Young House Love and see all the Pinterest projects!












I've seen those types of canvases popping up everywhere lately. So many possbilities! Love your take on the project.
ReplyDeleteThanks! It was a lot of fun to do! And super easy!
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! That's too funny. I JUST posted on another blogger's project who did the same one as us and then you posted on my blog!! Love it!!! Here's hers: http://amyallinaday.blogspot.com/2011/08/pinterest-challenge.html
ReplyDeleteI think it would be fun to show y'alls projects on my blog. I feature bloggers every Friday. Would you consider letting me show your project with a link back to your blog? Let me know! Cat@BudgetBlonde.com is my email addy!
Thanks Cat! I saw Amy's too. :) And I'd love to be featured on your blog. Will send you an email!
ReplyDeleteGreat job!
ReplyDeleteThanks Gretchen!
ReplyDelete